Welcome to the Clacks. I created this instance for my own use, and perhaps my friends if they are interested. I keep signups closed most of the time,
but will happily open them up on request.
Follow @tithonium for status updates, planned downtimes, upgrade announcements, etc. If this instance gets busy enough, I'll probably create a separate account so you don't have to follow my other nonsense.
Also: I tend to run against the master branch, and update when I remember to. Bugs happen.
Most of the rules boil down to:
- Don't be a dick
- Don't get me in trouble with the law or my network provider
- Don't embarrass me in front of the other Mastodon admins
- You're literally in my house; Don't give me a reason to kick you out
The Clacks is hosted on a physical server owned by me, @tithonium, located in my office at home, on my own internet connection. When it comes down to it, you are in my home and I decide if you get to be here.
If you cause problems, I will deal with you based on my perception of the severity. This could be anywhere from [telling you to knock it off] up to [deleting your account and everything associated with it, blocking your IPs at the firewall, and reporting you to your ISP and law enforcement].
Please don't make me do the latter. Seriously.
I will try to avoid blocking /entire/ instances, but will do so when necessary. If and when I do start blocking users or instances at a site level, I will try to remember to maintain a list here.
I will also try to remember to announce when I change these rules. But I've also included a revision date down at the bottom.
Finally: I'd love to switch out the default Mastodon images and such for something more thematically appropriate, if any artists would be willing to help out for the pittance I can justify spending on this project.
Some Specific Rules
(lifted from other Mastodon instances)
The following guidelines are not a legal document, and final interpretation is up to the administration of clacks.link; they are here to provide you with an insight into my content moderation policies:
Please report violations of these rules by local users as needed. This site is not responsible for, and has little control over, the actions and content of users of other federated sites. That said, if a non-local user is a problem, please do let us know about that too, so we can decide how we need to handle it.
The following types of accounts are disallowed:
In addition, accounts that go unverified or unused for a long period will be suspended.
- RSS-feed bots not connected to feeds of a Clacks user.
- Commercial/Advertising accounts
- Parody accounts
The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline:
My rules about NSFW-tagging-required may change in the future, I'm not entirely sold on it.
- Uncurated news bots posting from third-party news sources
- Untagged or Excessive advertising
- Untagged pornography and sexually explicit content
- Untagged gore and extremely graphic violence
- Misinformation for a purpose other than to entertain
The following types of content will be removed from the public timeline, and may result in account suspension and revocation of access to the service:
- Racism or advocation of racism
- Sexism or advocation of sexism
- Discrimination against gender and sexual minorities, or advocation thereof
- Xenophobic and/or violent nationalism
The following types of content are explicitly disallowed and will result in revocation of access to the service:
- Sexual depictions of children
- Nazi symbolism, for purposes other than analysis or commentary
- Confederate symbolism, for purposes other than analysis or commentary
- Content illegal in the state of Washington
The following types of content are explicitly disallowed in bios and avatars:
- Sexual content of any sort
- Violent content of any sort
- Images that flash or change rapidly
Any conduct intended to stalk or harass other users, or to impede other users from utilizing the service, or to degrade the performance of the service, or to harass other users, or to incite other users to perform any of the aforementioned actions, is also disallowed, and subject to punishment up to and including revocation of access to the service. This includes, but is not limited to, the following behaviors:
- Continuing to engage in conversation with a user that has specifically has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist may be considered harassment, regardless of platform-specific privacy tools employed.
- Aggregating, posting, and/or disseminating a person's demographic, personal, or private data without express permission (informally called doxing or dropping dox) may be considered harassment.
- Inciting users to engage another user in continued interaction or discussion after a user has requested for said engagement with that user to cease and desist (informally called brigading or dogpiling) may be considered harassment.
These provisions notwithstanding, the administration of the service reserves the right to revoke any user's access permissions, at any time, for any reason.
Last Revision: 2017-05-06